Sunday, January 23, 2011

Healthier Chocolate Chip Bar Cookies

If you're looking for a healthier alternative to a chocolate chip cookie here is a great recipe! (: My kids love these! I got this recipe from Zonya.com which is one of my favorite sites for healthier recipes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat one 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. You can double the recipe and coat 2 pans with spray if desired.

Mix in a large bowl:
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
4 egg whites

In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients:
1 large pkg. Instant Vanilla pudding (5.1 oz) -OR- Chocolate pudding (5.9 oz)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder (if possible aluminum free baking powder)
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour. (I just use the wheat flour that I grind myself)

Add dry ingredient to wet and mix well. Then add:
1 cup oats (quick-cooking or old-fashioned)

Stir in 1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Let dough sit about 10 min. (I never do this b/c I'm not patient.) Place dough in baking dish. It will be sticky. You can lay a sheet of wax paper on top to help press dough out. Remove wax paper.
Bake 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and soft to the touch. They will firm up as they cool. Cut into 24 equal bars. Store in refrigerator of freezer.

No comments: